Lion Brand« Heartland
16 sts + 23 1/2 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm) in St st (k on RS, p on WS). When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size
specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be
sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what
the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person.
If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller
size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Making a Gauge Swatch
kfb (knit into front and then back)
An increase worked as follows:
1. Knit the next st through the front loop, but do not remove the st from your left hand needle.
2. Knit the same st once more, this time inserting your needle through the back loop of the st. You will have created 2 loops (sts) on your right hand needle.
3. Drop the st from your left hand needle - you have increased 1 st.
1. Afghan is worked in intarsia colorwork. Use a separate ball of yarn for each color section. When changing colors, pick up new color from under dropped color to prevent holes from forming in your work. Wind each ball of yarn into multiple smaller balls as needed.
2. Color pattern is worked by following a chart. Work Chart from right to left on RS rows, from left to right on WS rows.
3. A circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of sts. Work back and forth as if working on straight needles.
With A, cast on 160 sts.
Chart Row 1 (RS): Working back and forth on circular needle, knit, following Chart Row 1 from right to left and repeating 80 sts of Chart twice.
Chart Row 2 (WS): Purl, following Chart Row 2 from left to right and repeating 80 sts of Chart twice.
Working in St st (k on RS, p on WS) continue chart as established to Row 92. Rep Rows 1-92 twice more, then rep Rows 1-46 once more. Do not bind off, but continue on to work borders.
Row 1: With A, knit.
Row 2: With J, k1, kfb in next st, k to end of row.
Rows 3-5: With J, rep Row 2.
Rows 6 and 7: With A, rep Row 2.
Rows 8-11: With M, rep Row 2.
Rows 12 and 13: With J, rep Row 2.
Rows 14-17: With A, rep Row 2.
With RS facing and A, pick up and k 160 sts evenly spaced across lower edge of Afghan. Rep Rows 1-17 of Top Border. Bind off.
With RS facing and A, pick up and k 201 sts evenly spaced along one side edge.
Rep Rows 1-17 of Top Border. Bind off. Rep across opposite side edge.
Seam corners of Borders. Weave in ends.