Lion Brand® Cotton-Ease®
18 sts = about 4 in. (10 cm) with A, in Pattern st. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size
specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be
sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what
the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person.
If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller
size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Making a Gauge Swatch
yo (yarn over)
An increase that also creates a small decorative hole (eyelet) in the fabric, worked as follows:
1. Bring yarn to front, between the needles.
2. Take yarn to back, over the right needle. This creates the new st. You are now ready to proceed with the next st as instructed.
1. Shawl is worked in one piece in a simple lace pattern.
2. The first and last 3 sts of each row are knit, to make a tidy Garter st (knit every row) border.
3. The 72 sts between the border sts are worked in a lace pattern st.
4. The pattern st is worked over a multiple of 12 sts, so you will be repeating the pattern st 6 times across each row.
5. The lace pattern is easy to work, you just need to be sure to keep track of where you are in the pattern. Markers are placed on Row 1 to help you 'see' the pattern repeats. If you feel confident in working the stitch pattern, feel free to eliminate the markers!
6. The stitch pattern for this Shawl includes yarn overs (abbreviated as yo). Read the Stitch Explanation for a yarn over carefully before beginning.
7. The yarn color is changed every 18 rows to create bands of color on the Shawl. When changing color, leave yarn tails about 6 in. (15 cm) long to weave in later.
With A, cast on 78 sts.
Row 1: K3 for border, place marker (pm), *(yo, k2tog) 3 times, pm; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3 for border.
Rows 2 and 4: K3, slip marker (sm), slipping markers as you come to them, p to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 3: Knit, slipping markers as you come to them.
Rows 5 and 8: K3, sm, *k3tog, k4, yo, k1, yo, k4, sm; rep from * across to last 3 sts, k3.
Rows 6, 7 and 9: K3, sm, *p3tog, p4, yo, p1, yo, p4, sm; rep from * across to last 3 sts, k3.
Rows 10-18: Rep Rows 1-9.
*Change to B and rep Rows 1-18.
Change to C and rep Rows 1-18.
Change to D and rep Rows 1-18.
Change to A and rep Rows 1-18.
Rep from * 5 more times.
Weave in ends.