Square (make 20)
With A, ch 22.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across – 21 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.
Repeat row 2 until piece measures 6 in. (15 cm) from beginning.
Note: Embroidery can be done before or after Squares are seamed together.
1. The Afghan design is meant to encourage creativity allowing you to tell 'your' story.
Choose desired motifs from design motif patterns -
L30043 - Friends and Family
L30044 - Nature
L30045 - Just for Fun
L30046 - Letters
L30047 - Numbers
L30052 - Animals
Change the size of the motifs as you like, or use your own designs!
2. Trace desired motifs onto tissue or tear away stabilizer then cut them out leaving a border outside the traced lines. With sewing needle and thread, baste each piece of tissue onto a Square. Be sure to keep your basting stitches away from the traced lines of the motif.
3. Using embroidery sts as desired, and colors from the B yarn pack as desired, embroider motifs onto the Squares. We used simple embroidery sts – French knots, lots of straight stitch, cross stitch, back stitch, and stem stitch.
4. Clip the basting threads. If you used tissue paper, dampen the tissue lightly then carefully remove the paper, leaving your embroidery stitches intact.
5. To remove stabilizer, follow the package directions.
Alternating directions, sew Squares together into 4 strips of 5 Squares each. Sew strips together to make Afghan.
Rnd 1: With RS facing, join A with sl st anywhere along outside edge of Afghan. Sc evenly spaced around entire outside edge, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc around working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnds 3-8: Rep Rnd 2. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.