Lion Brand« Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®
10 1/2 sts = about 4 in. (10 cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
1. Each Flower-spike st is made by drawing up 5 loops in sts of previous rnds.
2. When drawing up a loop in a st of a previous rnd, elongate the loop enough so that it lies flat against your work.
3. Instructions for working the Flower-spike assume that you are working from right to left. If you are working from left to right, simply change all references to 'right' to 'left' and vice versa.
1. Count down 2 rnds and then 2 sts to the right of the next st, insert your hook into this st and draw up a loop - 2 loops on hook.
2. Move one st to the left and one rnd down (3 rnds below the current rnd), insert your hook into this st and draw up a loop - 3 loops on hook.
3. Move one st to the left (you are now directly under the next st) and one more rnd down (4 rnds below the current rnd), insert your hook into this st and draw up a loop - 4 loops on hook.
4. Move one st to the left and one rnd up (3 rnds below the current rnd), insert your hook into this st and draw up a loop - 5 loops on hook.
5. Move one st to the left and one rnd up (2 rnds below the current rnd), insert your hook into this st and draw up a loop - 6 loops on hook.
6. Yarn over and draw through all loops on hook to make Flower-spike st.
7. When you continue on with the rnd, skip the next st, the st under which you worked the Flower-spike st.
1. The Tote is worked in continuous rnds with RS facing at all times; do not join or turn unless otherwise noted.
2. Tote is worked from the base up to the top. The strap is worked directly onto the Tote.
Ch 4; join with a sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1 (RS): Work 6 sc in ring. Place marker in first st for beg of rnd and move marker up as each rnd is completed.
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each sc around - 12 sc at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 3: *Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around - 18 sc.
Rnd 4: *Sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around - 24 sc.
Rnd 5: *Sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around - 30 sc.
Rnd 6: *Sc in each of next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around - 36 sc.
Rnd 7: *Sc in each of next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around - 42 sc.
Rnd 8: *Sc in each of next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around - 48 sc.
Rnds 9-13: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 14: *Sc in each of next 7 sc, Flower-spike st in next sc; rep from * around - 42 sc and 6 Flower-spikes.
Rnds 15-17: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 18: Sc in next 4 sc, Flower-spike st in next sc, *sc in next 7 sc, Flower-spike st in next sc; rep from * to last 3 sc, sc in last 3 sc - 42 sc and 6 Flower-spikes.
Rnd 19: Sc in each sc around.
Rep Rnd 19 until Tote measures 13 in. (33 cm) from beginning.
First Half of Strap
1. We suggest you read carefully through the instructions before beginning the strap. The strap is easy, but the construction is slightly unusual.
2. Once both halves of the strap have been completed, strap is folded and seamed. This makes an extra sturdy strap!
Rnd 1 (RS): Sc in next 24 sc, then work a ch about 29 in. (73.5 cm) long (the chain will become the strap); leave the last 24 sc unworked for now, you'll return to these sts to make the other side of the strap. Join the end of the ch with a sl st to the first of the 24 sc you worked at the beg of this rnd.
Rnd 2: Sc in 24 sc of Rnd 1, placing a marker between the 3rd and 4th sc and a second marker between the 21st and 22nd sc, sc in each ch of strap.
Note: When working sl sts in next 3 rnds, take care to carefully insert your hook under the top 2 loops of sts of previous rnd.
Rnd 3: Note: On Rnd 3, you will move each of the markers outwards 1 st, to add 2 more sts between the markers.
Sc in each sc around to one st before marker, reposition marker, moving it 1 st outwards to have 1 more st between markers, sl st in each st to next marker, remove marker, sl st in next st and replace marker, sc in each sc to end of rnd.
Rnds 4 and 5: Rep Rnd 3, continuing to move the markers outwards by 1 st on each rnd.
Second Half of Strap
Rnd 1 (RS): With RS facing, join yarn with sc in first unworked st at top of Tote, sc in next 23 sc, place a marker between the 3rd and 4th sc and another marker between the 21st and 22nd sc; working across opposite side of strap foundation ch, sc in each ch across strap.
Rep Rnds 3-5 of first half of strap.
Fasten off, leaving a long yarn tail for sewing. Remove markers. Fold strap in half and with yarn tail, sew long sides of strap together.
Weave in ends.