Lion Brand® LB Collection® Silk
18 sts = about 4 in. (10 cm) in Garter st (k every row), after blocking. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size
specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be
sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what
the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person.
If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller
size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Making a Gauge Swatch
kfb (knit into front and then back)
An increase worked as follows:
1. Knit the next st through the front loop, but do not remove the st from your left hand needle.
2. Knit the same st once more, this time inserting your needle through the back loop of the st. You will have created 2 loops (sts) on your right hand needle.
3. Drop the st from your left hand needle – you have increased 1 st.
1. Ascot is worked in one piece with increases and decreases to shape the ends.
2. Sts are divided to work the keyhole opening.
3. We suggest that you wind the yarn into a ball by hand, rather than using a ball winder.
Cast on 3 sts.
Row 1 (WS): Knit.
Row 2: K1, kfb, k1 – you will have 4 sts at the end of this row.
Row 3: Knit.
Row 4: K1, kfb, k to end of row.
Rep Rows 3 and 4 until you have 26 sts.
Work even (without further increasing) in Garter st (k every row) for 15 in. (38 cm).
Make keyhole opening
Next Row: *K1, sl next st onto a st holder, rep from * across – 13 sts remain on needle, 13 sts on holder.
Rib Row 1: Working on 13 sts on needle only, *p1, k1; rep rep from * across.
Rib Row 2: *K1, p1; rep from * across.
Rep last 2 rows for 2 in. (5 cm), then sl sts to a second holder.
Sl 13 sts from first holder back onto needle.
Work second half of keyhole opening same as first, but do not sl sts to a holder.
Next Row: *K 1 st from holder, k1 st from needle; rep from * across so that all 26 sts have been returned to needle in their original order.
Work even in Garter st for 1 in. (2.5 cm).
Next Row: Knit.
Next Row: K1, k2tog, k to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows until 3 sts remain. Bind off.
Weave in ends.
Soak Ascot in warm water for about 20 minutes. Lift wet Ascot carefully from water, then roll in a towel to remove excess water.
On a flat, pinnable surface, stretch damp Ascot to finished measurements and pin in place. Allow to dry, then unpin.