Lion Brand« Lion's Pride« Woolspun«
14 sts + 24 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm) in Slip St pattern. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size
specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be
sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what
the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person.
If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller
size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Making a Gauge Swatch
1. Afghan is worked in one piece in a Slip St pattern.
2. Slip all slip sts as if to purl. When slipping sts on RS rows, hold the working yarn in back of the piece (wyib). When slipping sts on WS rows, hold the working yarn in front of the piece (wyif). This keeps the strands of yarn on the WS of the piece.
3. The Slip St pattern is worked with 2 colors. Carry color not in use along the side edge of the piece until the instructions say to cut it.
4. The color combination is changed every 30 rows by cutting one of the colors from the previous 30-row section and continuing with a new color.
5. A circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of sts. Work back and forth on circular needle as if working on straight needles.
With A, cast on 140 sts.
Begin Slip St Pattern
Rows 1 and 2: With A, knit.
Row 3 (RS): With B, k1, *k2, sl 1 wyib; rep from * to last st, k1.
Rows 4: With B, k1, *sl 1 wyif, p2; rep from * to last st, k1.
Rows 5 and 6: With A, knit.
Rows 7-30: Rep Rows 3-6.
With B instead of A and C instead of B, rep Rows 1-30 of Step 1.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using C instead of B and D instead of C.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using D instead of B and E instead of C.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using E instead of B and F instead of C.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using F instead of B and G instead of C.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using G instead of B and H instead of C.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using H instead of B and I instead of C.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using I instead of B and J instead of C.
Rep Rows 1-30 of Step 2, using J instead of B and K instead of C.
With K, bind off.
Weave in ends.