Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick® - Glitterspun®
10 sts + 14 rows = 4 in. (10 cm) in St st (k on RS, p on WS). When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size
specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be
sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what
the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person.
If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller
size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Making a Gauge Swatch
1. Scarf, including borders, is worked in one piece.
2. Pockets are worked separately, then embroidered and sewn to Scarf.
3. Embroidery on Pockets is worked from a traced motif.
With A, cast on 18 sts.
Rows 1-3: Knit.
Row 4 (WS): K2, p14, k2.
Row 5: Knit.
Rep Rows 4 and 5 until Scarf measures about 46 in. (117cm), end with a WS row as the last row you work.
Knit 3 rows.
POCKETS (make 2)
With A, cast on 14 sts Work in St st (k on RS, p on WS), until piece measures about 6 1/2 in. (16.5 cm) from beginning.
1. Trace 2 Owl motifs onto tissue paper or tear away stabilizer then cut them out leaving a border outside the traced lines. With sewing needle and thread, baste each piece of tissue paper onto a Pocket. Be sure to keep your basting stitches away from the traced lines of the motif.
2. Using embroidery sts as desired, and B or C as desired, embroider an Owl onto each Pocket. We used simple embroidery sts - French knots, lots of straight stitch, back stitch, and stem stitch.
3. Clip the basting threads. If you used tissue paper, dampen the tissue lightly then carefully remove the paper, leaving your embroidery stitches intact.
4. To remove stabilizer, follow the package directions. Sew a Pocket to each end of Scarf, centered inside the Garter st border of the Scarf.
Weave in ends.