Lion Brand« Wool-Ease« Thick & Quick«
9 dc + 5 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm). When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size
specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be
sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what
the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person.
If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller
size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Making a Gauge Swatch
1. Hat is worked in the rnd beg at top, with the RS always facing. Do not turn at the end of rnds.
2. When you see "– 12 sts". in the instructions, this lets you know how many sts you will have at the end of that specific row.
Ch 5, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, work 4 sc in ring. Place marker for beg of rnd, move marker up as each rnd is completed.
Rnds 2 and 3: Working through back loops only, work 2 sc in each sc around – 16 sc at the end of Rnd 3.
Rnd 4: Working through back loops only, *sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around – 24 sc.
Rnd 5: Working through back loops only, *2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc; rep from * around – 30 sc.
Rnd 6: Working through back loops only, *sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around – 36 sc.
Rnd 7: Working through back loops only, *2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc; rep from * around – 42 sc.
Rnd 8: Working through back loops only, sc in each sc around.
Rnd 9: Ch 4 (counts as dc + ch 1 in this rnd and in all following rnds), working through both loops, sk next st, *dc in next st, ch 1, sk next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 21 dc and 21 ch-1 sps.
Rnd 10: Ch 4, *dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next dc; rep from * around; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 21 dc and 21 ch-1 sps.
Rep Rnd 10 until piece measures about 8 in. (20.5 cm) from Rnd 8.
Surface Slip Stitch
1. Make a slip knot in end of yarn, but do not place the knot onto your hook.
2. Insert hook from RS to WS through any ch-1 sp along last rnd.
3. Place the slip knot onto hook and draw loop to RS (keep beg tail and working yarn on WS).
4. *Insert hook from RS to WS through Hat in next ch-1 sp from last insertion location, yarn over, draw loop through Hat and through loop on hook (surface sl st made); rep from * around last rnd of Hat.
To end off, remove hook from loop and take hook to WS. Insert hook from WS to RS, place loop on hook, draw loop through to WS. Cut yarn. Draw tail through final loop and pull tight.
Weave in ends.