With A, cast on 60 stitches. Work in St st (k on RS and p on WS), until piece measures about 15 in. (38 cm).
Bind off. Weave in ends.
Wash piece by machine on a hot wash/cold rinse cycle with detergent and several pieces of clothing to agitate. Pull into shape, then allow piece to air dry thoroughly.
Measure and cut (using sharp scissors or rotary cutter and mat) a 7 1/2 x 11 in. (19 x 28 cm) rectangle from felted piece.
Mark the center 3 1/2 in. (9 cm) along each 7 1/2 in. (19 cm) side. Mark 3 1/4 in. 98 cm) down from each corner on each 11 in. (28 cm) side.
Draw a straight line to connect marks at each corner to create an octagon.
Cut along marked lines to make Patch.
The next step is to embroider the Patch.
1. The design is meant to encourage creativity allowing you to tell 'your' story. Choose desired motif from design motif patterns -
L30043 - Friends and Family
L30044 - Nature
L30045 - Just for Fun
L30046 - Letters
L30047 - Numbers
L30052 - Animals
Using a copier or working freehand, change the size of the motif to be about 6 x 9 1/2 in. (15 x 24 cm).
2. Trace motif onto tissue paper or tear away stabilizer, then cut it out leaving a border outside the traced lines. With sewing needle and thread, baste this piece of tissue paper onto the Patch. Be sure to keep your basting stitches away from the traced lines of the motif.
3. Using embroidery stitches as desired, and colors from the B yarn pack as desired, embroider motif onto the Patch. We used simple embroidery stitches – French knots, back stitch, straight stitch and stem stitch.
4. Clip the basting threads. If you used tissue paper, dampen the tissue lightly then carefully remove the paper, leaving your embroidery stitches intact.
5. To remove stabilizer, follow the package directions.
6. With embroidery needle and B yarn color as desired, work blanket st around the outside edge of Patch.
Center Patch on the back of the jacket (or on any other piece as desired) and pin into place. Working behind the blanket stitches, and using sewing needle and thread, sew Patch in place. If you prefer, use fabric glue to attach the Patch.