Shape Crown (Top of Hat)
Make an adjustable ring as follows: Wrap yarn around index finger. Insert hook into ring on finger, yarn over and draw up a loop. Carefully slip ring from finger and work the stitches of Rnd 1 into the ring. When Rnd 1 is complete, gently but firmly, pull tail to tighten center of ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc in this and all following rnds), work 9 dc in ring; join with sl st in top of beg ch – 10 dc.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st as join, work 2 dc in each st around; join with sl st in top of beg ch – 20 sts at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, *dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in top of beg ch – 25 sts.
Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st, *dc in next 4 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in top of beg ch – 30 sts.
Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in each st around; join with sl st in top of beg ch.
Note: Work now proceeds in continuous rnds (spiral).
Do not join at the end of rnds.
Rnd 6: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Place a marker in first st for beg of rnd. Move marker up as each rnd is completed.
Rnd 7: *Sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st; rep from * around – 40 sts.
Rnd 8: *Sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st; rep from * around – 50 sts.
Rnd 9: *Sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st; rep from * around – 60 sts.
Rnd 10: *Sk next st, (sc, hdc, sc) in next st, sk next st, sl st in next st; rep from * around. Fasten off.
Work surface slip stitch around Rnd 6, adjusting circumference of Hat as you go, as follows:
1. Make a slip knot, but do not place it on hook.
2. Insert hook from RS to WS through crochet fabric.
3. Place the slip knot on hook and draw loop to RS (keep beg tail and working yarn on WS).
4. *Insert hook from RS to WS through fabric a short distance from last insertion location, yarn over, draw loop through fabric and through loop on hook (surface sl st made); rep from * inserting hook, as desired, to create surface pattern.
5. To end, remove hook from loop and take hook to WS. Insert hook from WS to RS, place loop on hook, draw loop through to WS. Cut yarn. Draw tail through final loop and pull tight.
Weave in ends.