Lion Brand« Superwash Merino Cashmere
16 sts + 26 rnds = 4 in. (10 cm) in patterns. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
2/2 LC (2 over 2 left cross) Slip 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front of work, k2, then k2 from cable needle.
kfb (knit in front and back) Knit next st without removing it from left needle, then k through back of same st - 1 st increased.
w&t (wrap and turn) A technique used to ensure that a small hole doesn't form at the end of a short row.
1. Bring the yarn between the needles to the front of the work (the front is the side that is facing you). Take care not to wrap the yarn over a needle, this would create a new st.
2. Slip the next st from the left hand needle to the right hand needle as if to purl.
3. Turn the work. After turning, the yarn will be in the back of the work.
4. Bring the yarn between the needles to the front of the work.
5. Slip the first st on left needle as if to purl, back onto right needle. You will now have one stitch on the right needle with a wrap of yarn around the base of the st.
6. Bring the yarn between the needles to the back of the work and continue with the row.
7. When you encounter the wrapped st on the next row, lift the wrap with the tip of your right hand needle and work it together with the wrapped st.
yo (yarn over)
An increase that also creates a small decorative hole (eyelet) in the fabric, worked as follows:
1. Bring yarn to front, between the needles.
2. Take yarn to back, over the right needle. This creates a new st.
Ridge Rib (multiple of 4 sts + 2 additional sts)
Rnds 1-3: P2, *k2, p2; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 4: Purl.
Rep Rnds 1-4 for Ridge Rib pattern.
Cable Pattern (multiple of 6 sts)
Rnds 1 and 2: *P1, k4, p1; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 3: *P1, 2/2 LC, p1; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 4: *P1, k4, p1; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rep Rnds 1-4 for Cable pattern.
Checkerboard Pattern (multiple of 8 sts)
Rnds 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15: Knit.
Rnds 2, 4, 6, and 8: *K2, p4, k2; rep from * to end.
Rnds 10, 12, 14, and 16: *P2, k4, p2; rep from * to end.
Rep Rnds 1-16 for Checkerboard pattern.
Rnds 1 and 2: Knit.
Rnds 3 and 4: Purl.
Rep Rnds 1-4 for Garter Ridge pattern.
1. Blanket is worked in one piece in the rnd beg at center.
2. Work beg on double pointed needles (dpns), then changes to longer circular needles as sts are increased.
3. The border is worked in short rows, back and forth over 4-st sections, to create zigzag edges. Short rows are rows that are worked over a portion of the sts in a row, leaving the rem sts unworked. To work short rows, the pattern instructions will tell you to 'turn' before you reach the end of the row.
4. Blanket is worked in pattern sts as the number of sts in the Blanket are increased. As you work each pattern st, take time to study your knitting - this will help you the work the inc sts into the pattern sts.
With double pointed needles, cast on 12 sts. Divide sts onto 4 needles, with 3 sts on each needle. Join by working the first st on the left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand needle and being careful not to twist sts. No need to place a marker yet, you will do that on the next rnd.
Set-Up Rnd (WS): (P1, place marker (pm), p2, pm) 4 times.
The final marker is the beg of rnd marker; use a different color for this marker.
Rnd 1 (RS): (K1, slip marker (sm), yo, k2, yo, sm) 4 times - 20 sts at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 2: (K1, sm, p1, k2, p1, sm) 4 times.
Rnd 3: (K1, sm, yo, p1, k2, p1, yo, sm) 4 times - 28 sts.
Rnd 4: (K1, sm, purl to next marker, sm) 4 times.
Beg Ridge Rib Pattern
Rnd 5: (K1, sm, yo, work Rnd 1 of Ridge Rib pattern to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 36 sts.
Note: You will continue to inc sts at the markers - these form the corners of the blanket. Work the new sts in Ridge Rib pattern by continuing to alternate 2 knit sts with 2 purl sts (matching the k and p sts of previous rnds) on Rnds 1-3 of Ridge Rib pattern, and purl all sts of Rnd 4 of Ridge Rib pattern.
Rnd 6: (K1, sm, work in Ridge Rib pattern to next marker, working new sts in Ridge Rib, sm) 4 times.
Rnd 7: (K1, sm, yo, work in Ridge Rib pattern to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 44 sts.
Note: When working Rnds 8-29 change to shorter circular needle when sts have been sufficiently increased.
Rnds 8-29: Rep Rnds 6 and 7 eleven more times - 132 sts at the end of Rnd 29.
Rnd 30: Rep Rnd 6.
Change to 32 in. (81.5 cm) long circular needle as you work the next rnd.
Rnd 31: (K1, sm, yo, purl to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 140 sts.
Rnd 32: (K1, sm, purl to next marker, sm) 4 times.
Rnds 33 and 34: Rep Rnds 31 and 32 - 148 sts.
Change to longest circular needle as you work the next rnd.
Rnd 35: (K1, sm, yo, k4, (k1, kfb) 14 times, k4, yo, sm) 4 times - 212 sts.
Beg Cable Pattern
Rnd 36: (K1, sm, k4, *p2, k4; rep from * to next marker, sm) 4 times.
Rnd 37: (K1, sm, yo, k4, *p2, k4; rep from * to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 220 sts.
Rnd 38: (K1, sm, work Rnd 3 of Cable pattern to next marker, sm) 4 times.
Rnd 39: (K1, sm, yo, work next rnd of Cable pattern to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 228 sts.
Note: When you see 'as established' in the instructions, this means to continue in the current pattern st. On some rnds you will end part way through a repeat of the pattern. Take care to beg the next rnd with the corresponding st within the pattern.
Rnd 40: (K1, sm, work in Cable pattern as established to next marker, working inc sts into pattern, sm) 4 times.
Rnds 41-64: Rep Rnds 39 and 40 twelve more times - 324 sts at the end of Rnd 64.
Beg Garter Ridge Pattern
Rnd 65: (K1, sm, yo, work Rnd 1 of Garter Ridge pattern to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 332 sts.
Rnd 66: (K1, sm, work in Garter Ridge pattern to next marker, sm) 4 times.
Rnd 67: (K1, sm, yo, work in Garter Ridge pattern to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 340 sts.
Rnd 68: Rep Rnd 66.
Rnds 69-80:Rep Rnds 67 and 68 six times - 388 sts at the end of Rnd 80.
Beg Checkerboard Pattern
Rnd 81: (K1, sm, yo, work Rnd 1 of Checkerboard pattern to next marker, yo, sm) 4 times - 396 sts.
Rnd 82: (K1, sm, work in Checkerboard pattern as established to next marker, working inc sts into pattern, sm) 4 times.
Rnds 83-96: Rep Rnds 81 and 82 seven times - 452 sts at the end of Rnd 96. Border
Note: The border will be worked around all sts of the blanket, working on one 4-st section at a time.
Row 1: Sl 1, *k3, w&t.
Row 2: K3, p1, turn.
Row 3: Sl 1, k2, w&t.
Row 4: K2, p1, turn.
Row 5: Sl 1, k1, w&t.
Row 6: K1, p1, turn.
Row 7: Sl 1, w&t.
Row 8: P1, turn.
Bind off 4 sts **.
Rep from * to ** until all sts have been bound off.
Weave in ends.