Lion Brand® Tweed Stripes®
1 ripple = about 6 in. (15 cm). When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size
specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be
sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what
the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person.
If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller
size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Making a Gauge Swatch
|dc2tog (dc 2 sts together) Yarn over, insert hook into st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops. Yarn over, insert hook into next st and draw up a loop. Yarn over, draw through 2 loops, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook - 1 st decreased.
1. Throw is worked in a color pattern of 2 rows with A, then 2 rows with B.
2. To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete the st.
1. This project is worked in a ripple crochet pattern. It’s important to remember that you may need to work several rows before the ripple pattern becomes clear.
2. The ripple pattern consists of alternating peaks and valleys. Each peak is created by working 2 dc in each of 6 sts, and each valley is created by working dc2tog 6 times (over a total of 12 sts). The peaks are centered over the peaks of the previous row, and the valleys are centered over the valleys of the previous row.
3. When working in ripple crochet, your piece probably won’t lay flat until you’ve worked a few rows (how many rows depends on your yarn and gauge).
4. The hook size indicated in the pattern worked for our designer using the recommended yarn. You may need to experiment with using different size hooks to find one that produces a ripple fabric you like.
With A, ch 132.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook, (dc2tog) 3 times, 2 dc in next 6 ch, *(dc2tog) 6 times, 2 dc in next 6 ch; rep from * across to last 8 ch, (dc2tog) 3 times, dc in last 2 ch - 7 ripples.
Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), turn, dc in next dc, (dc2tog) 3 times, 2 dc in next 6 dc, *(dc2tog) 6 times, 2 dc in next 6 dc; rep from * across to last 8 dc, (dc2tog) 3 times, dc in last 2 dc; change to B in last st.
Rows 3 and 4: With B, rep Row 2 twice; do not change color at the end of Row 3; change to A in last st of Row 4.
Rows 5 and 6: With A, rep Row 2 twice; do not change color at the end of Row 5; change to B in last st of Row 6.
Rep Rows 3-6 until piece measures about 44 in. (112 cm) from beginning.
Weave in ends.