Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®
9 sts = about 4 in. (10 cm) in Garter stitch (knit every row) with larger needle. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
1. Blanket is designed to fold into attached Pocket to create a pillow.
2. Circular needle is used to accommodate large number of stitches. Work back and forth in rows as if knitting with straight needles.
3. To fold Blanket into Pocket, refer to schematic diagram and fold Blanket vertically into thirds, flip pocket over Blanket edge to other side of Blanket; fold blanket horizontally along lines indicated on diagram; tuck folded Blanket into Pocket.
4. When working Garter st, an easy way to count your rows is to count the 'ridges' – every 2 rows of Garter st makes a ridge.
5. Each section of Blanket (A, B, or C) will measure about 18 inches.
With A, cast on 120 sts.
Work in Garter st (knit every row) for 68 rows (34 Garter st ‘ridges’).
Change to B and work in Garter st for 68 rows.
Change to C and work in Garter st for 68 rows.
With D, cast on 34 sts. Work in Garter st for 60 rows (30 'ridges').
Following diagram, sew cast on edge of Pocket to edge of Blanket. Sew sides of Pocket to Blanket, leaving bound off edge of Pocket open.
Note: Border is worked on double pointed needles to make a knitted cord and is attached to Blanket as it is worked
With double pointed needles and D, cast on 3 sts.
Beginning at side of Blanket where Pocket is attached, pick up one st from Blanket edge.
*Slide sts to other end of double pointed needles and k2, then k2 together, pulling yarn tightly across the back of the work. Do not turn work. Pick up another st from edge of Blanket; repeat from * around edge of Blanket picking up about one st in every Garter st ridge, one st in every st across cast on and bound off edges of Blanket, and 3 sts in each corner.
When you reach the starting point of the border, bind off.
Sew ends of border together.
Weave in ends.