A flattering outfit can make you feel more confident and at ease.
For plus-sized women, structured pieces, prints proportionate to your body, and details that emphasize your strongest assets can help you to look your best. Learn more about dressing to flatter your body with some Tips from our Design Department.
Here are a few key tips on looking your best, as well as a few great
patterns for you.
- Focus on your best assets. Our Flattering Sweater (which comes in the version above, or in an easy-care Vanna's Choice version) has
detailing under the bust area, which helps to draw the eye to this
area--which is where the body cinches in and is thinnest for many
- Avoid shapeless clothing. Structured pieces look best on
different body shapes, while clingy clothes stretch and pull over
unflattering areas. Look for pieces with shaping that helps to balance
out your body proportions.
- A good way to determine which size sweater to make is to measure
a garment that fits you well. Compare the measurement you've taken with
the finished bust sizes offered in the sweater pattern and choose the
closest match. Remember to allow a little extra ease if you're using in
a thicker yarn like Homespun.
- For petite women, choose sweaters (like our Matinee
Swing Jacket or Cropped
that hit you at the waist--they will look best on your frame. Overly
long pieces will make petite women look shorter; longer sweaters and
best for taller women.
- Choose simple pieces without too many embellishments; big buttons
and prints will make you look too busy. Our Vintage Tie Jacket
adds a little interest that draws the eye up to your face, while
keeping it simple.
- Don't be afraid of color! Black isn't necessarily your most
flattering color; in fact, it may wash you out. Wear colors that
complement your skin tone. Dark colors and monochromatic outfits are
- Choose patterns that are in proportion to your body. Our
Jacket is made in Homespun, which stripes up in a way that's
flattering on most women.
- A V-neck or cardigan like our Beach
Pullover and Beach
Cardigan will help to elongate your shape and draw
attention to your face.
- Pair your cardigan or sweater with a shirt in a contrasting-color
to add interest.
- Wear clothes you love! The more comfortable you are in your
clothing, the more other people will notice your confidence!
Join us next month for new Tips from the Design Department!