I must be getting near the home stretch of the Saturday Morning Hoodie, because I have finally reached the part that that makes it one: the hood. This last week I sewed in the second sleeve, and then I decided to sew the side and sleeve seams together as well. (This just makes the piece a little more manageable to work on.) After the fronts, sleeves and back are all sewn together at the raglan edges, I can pick up stitches for the hood.
I am working on the second size in this pattern and it tells me to pick up a total of 45 stitches around the neckline. Sometimes, knitting patterns tell you exactly how many stitches to pick up for each section of a neck, but for this pattern the total number is given--and I have an easy way to evenly pick up stitches! (As always, highlighted photos can be clicked on to enlarge.)
I really do like using detachable markers (or safety pins) to mark off sections and all I did was fold the neck in half, and place one marker at the center back. Then I folded each of these halves into quarters and marked each of these sections off. So, with the neck in quarters, I only have to pick up 11 in each section, and one extra (probably at the center back). By working from marker to marker, this makes the job easier than to just hope to have the total number picked up by the time I get to the end of the neck. Another tip: I also like to pick up my stitches with my smaller needle for a neater look and then work with the larger needle for the rest of the hoodie.
After working the hood for 11", I shaped the top of the hood to create the top of the hood. Then I worked even for another 5” (for the top of the hood) and bound off.
Look! I just sewed the bound off edges to the sides of the center piece and a hood emerges!
All I have to do this next week is the ribbing for the front bands, sewing the pockets to the fronts and working the bands of the pockets. Oh, and one of my favorite things to do – find some great buttons!
How is your hoodie coming along? Leave a comment and let us know!
- Saturday Morning Hoodie Knit-Along, Part 4: The Nature of the Raglan
- Saturday Morning Hoodie Knit-Along, Part 3: The Fronts--Left, Right, Forward, and Reverse
- Saturday Morning Hoodie Knit-Along, Part 2: Starting the Hoodie with Thoughts of a Great Finish
- Saturday Morning Hoodie Knit-Along, part 1: A Truly His & Hers Hoodie
- Announcing Our Winter 2011 Knit-Along
- Saturday Morning Hoodie Knit-Along Group on Ravelry.com
- Saturday Morning Hoodie Knit-Along Group on Flickr.com
- Saturday Morning Hoodie (free pattern)